Over at Govtech.com, they had a fine summary of the Town Hall meeting. Here was a list of some of the issues they highlighted as coming up at the meeting:
- Lack of inclusion of states in decision making process
- Privacy and security of records
- Types of information stored in databases
- Identity theft and inside jobs
- Use, and types of biometrics included
- Ease in which people with disabilities, and the elderly will be able to get cards
- Putting addresses on cards and the danger to people escaping violent environments
- Religious discrimination
- Gender options on cards
- Costs to states and individuals
And Deborah Pierce of Privacy Activism (and this blog) noted in a thread on Tribe.net that...
The commenting process isn't easy, and so legislators estimate that each comment represents the views of 1,000 people ... your voice matters a lot.
Indeed it does! Yet one more reason why it's time to write those comments....